Friday, August 8, 2008

It's Time to Celebrate!

There are many reasons to be happy today:

  • The Olympics have begun! The opening ceremonies are on right now, and there is always something so stately and moving about them. I love watching the smiles on the athletes faces, smiles that say that they are making memories to last a lifetime. I love the idea that sports can bring people together, which is probably why I've loved the Olympics ever since I was old enough to understand what they represented. I especially loved watching Yao Ming hold that little boy who went back to try to rescue his classmates during the recent earthquake, it was a goosebump-inducing moment. Plus, the US outfits are amazing this year:

  • Sidney Crosby turned 21 yesterday! Now, I'm sure this is not terribly exciting for Sid, as he could drink in his home country since he was 19, but he can now (legally) imbibe in Pittsburgh with his Pens buddies. Happy belated birthday, Chops! I hope you celebrated with your BFF Colby and your beverage of choice, just hopefully not to "Soupy singing" levels of "celebration."

  • I hope Colby gives Sid some birthday man-love, too!


  • TEPPO'S BACK!! In case you haven't heard this most wonderful news, the Sabres re-signed Teppo Numminen today to a 1-year deal worth $1.1 million. I've only been dreaming of this for the last few months - thank you, Darcy! Teppo will give us so many of the things we missed last year - defensive stability, calmness on the bench, veteran leadership, and a great teacher for our young d-men, especially Sekera.
I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! I'll be watching the Bills open their preseason (Saturday) and celebrating a little birthday of my own (on Sunday).

2 comments:

dani said...

How crazy were the opening ceremonies? Whoa.

*Still love the Sid-Army love picture!!!

Katie said...

Sabre Sister, how can you NOT love that picture. They are the definition of "adorkable."

And the Opening Ceremonies were pretty much the coolest thing I may have ever seen on my 25-year old TV. haha