Friday, April 3, 2009

Winning is the Best Medicine

I've been sick for about a week, but it's funny how something completely unrelated to my antibiotics can make me feel so much better.

I've barely made it off the couch since Wednesday, but once Jason Pominville's shot went into the net, ending overtime and sealing the 5-4 win over the Caps, I was jumping up and down in the living room.

So, I have a couple of thank-you notes to send out tonight:

Dear Buffalo Sabres,
Thank you for making me forget about my sinus infection for a few hours. Tonight, you played with heart and effort the whole game through. Did I like all those penalties? No. Did that game make me nervous at points? Of course. Still, you proved that you're not going to go away quietly. Four points out with a game-in-hand over the Rangers - tomorrow just got very interesting, indeed. That group hug after the win was fantastic; let that emotion carry over into another solid game against the Devils.

Dear Ryan Miller,
Please continue to punch Ovechkin in the face whenever you like (ok, so it was more push than punch). I love it when you get snippy. For that alone, I name you my Unsung Hero of the Game.

Dear Jason Pominville,
You're awesome. Remember how nice scoring goals is? Think you can try to do that even more? I know that I would love to see that goal-celebration smile more often; it's one of my favorite sights in hockey.

Dear Colby Armstrong,
Thanks for the two assists in Atlanta's 3-1 win over Florida, putting the Sabres only two points behind the Panthers! Does this note make up for all of the obscenities I was hurling at you and your team on Wednesday?
*Edit: Just heard the news about Carly Bragnalo, the fiancee of former Sabre and current Canuck Taylor Pyatt, who passed away in a car accident in Jamaica. The two had been together for 11 years, since they were high school sweethearts. This news is truly heartbreaking. My prayers tonight go out to Pyatt, the Bragnalo family, and the Canucks family.

No comments: