Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Celebrating Democracy

Today, I voted in my first presidential election. No matter your party or personal choice, I think we can all agree that this has been a very historic election, and I'm so happy to see so many of my generation taking an interest in the political process and turning out to vote.

In the spirit of democracy, I've posed a new poll question for all of you.

I've just been informed that I'm getting a new third jersey from my parents as my Christmas gift this year. The only thing I have to decide is whose jersey I want.

This decision is taking a lot longer than anticipated because of a mighty struggle between head and heart over declaring my love for a defenseman I've just met.

As documented on this blog, I've fallen hard and fast for Captain Craig Rivet. He's everything I love about hockey players - they're tough, team-first, hard-working guys. He's changed the character of this team (along with Lindy, of course), which he earned the respect of in just a few weeks.

Also, after coming back yesterday at least a week early from knee surgery, I also think he's bionic and superhuman.

Craig Rivet could knock out Chuck Norris

However, I realize that there are some logical problems with this choice. Though I do claim to love Craig, I can't be sure this isn't just infatuation, no matter how certain I feel that this will last (this is why I waited a year to get my Goose jersey). I also know I may only be able to use this for less than three years.

Still, ever since I was nine years old and hopelessly devoted to Michael Peca, I've wanted a jersey with a "C."

So what do you think, loyal and esteemed readers; is it time for me to make this love permanent in stitches and fabric?

This doesn't mean, though, that I will be neglecting my first and deepest jersey-love:


Goose is #28 on my jersey but #1 in my heart

It seems the NHL is feeling democratic today as well with the release of its All Star Ballot, which will be up for the vote on November 12.

The Sabres are well-represented with Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek representing expected choices. There are two relative surprises, however. Derek Roy represents the young dark horse, and Teppo Numminen is serving as the grizzled veteran on the ballot for Buffalo.

So cast your vote when polls open, and don't forget your write-ins for Goose!

6 comments:

Jael said...

I'm getting a jersey for Christmas, too, and I don't know if I want Rivet, either... Gaustad is my first love (though Kaleta is my current favorite), and I'm not sure, either, if Rivet is just an infatuation... =(

Katie said...

Jael, thanks for sympathizing with my situation! My first jersey was Goose and that was only after a year of soul-searching to determine if he could stay my favorite.

I hope your jersey search turns out well - let me know whose you end up getting!

Shelby said...

It is never too early to get a Rivet jersey, Katie. We at least know that he's here for 2/3 more years (at the top of my head, I can't remember how long his contract is). I see no harm in getting one, and besides, I think he's won over a lot of our hearts very quickly.

Katie said...

I think he's won over a lot of our hearts very quickly.

Thanks for helping me in my time of crisis, Shelby! It's good to know I'm not the only one who's fallen hard and fast for Cap'n Craig's overall awesomeness - haha

dani said...

Go for Criagy, Sabre Sister!

I agree, jerseys are a tough decision. I'm still debating on my first one.

Go democracy! Woo!

Katie said...

Thanks for the advice, Sabre Sister!

I'm still debating on my first one.

Don't worry...it is a very difficult, life-altering decision. :)