Monday, February 22, 2010

Tremendously Tremendous


Now that was a hockey game.

Last night's USA win over Canada was something truly special. No, it wasn't "more than just as hockey game" - it was just that: a hockey game. And a pretty fantastic one at that.

It was a hockey game that made hockey feel like a legitimate sport in America - for even just one night. That game was the talk of the nation last night and this morning, and it was for good reason. End-to-end action, great saves, hard hits, incredible excitement from the blazing start to the frenzied final minutes - this game showcased the best of hockey as a sport.

Olympic victories always carry a special sense of pride, but this one feels even more special. Watching Ryan Miller make 42 saves - some of them truly fantastic - made me feel like our little corner of America played a big part in last night's victory. Because that goalie that everyone is praising, the one that even non-fans are starting to appreciate - he's ours. Watching the world come to recognize Ryan Miller last night was really cool; there's no other word I can find to describe it. Seeing him at the top of the Trending Topics on Twitter and seeing people I never thought would know his name (Ryan Seacrest watches hockey?) tweet about believing in "Millercles" made a great win even greater.

I think it's because we know how much Miller deserves this. We know what a great and generous man he seems to be off the ice as well as the terrific netminder he is on it. There is no other hockey player (besides maybe Goose) that I would like to see in such a positive, national spotlight. He has earned the love he is getting right now, and I am proud to say that he is both my country and my team's star player. I couldn't think of a better representative for the Sabres and American hockey.Congrats, Millsie. This is just one game, though, and the most important are still to come. Here's hoping that he can continue to lead the USA all the way to the podium and that there will be many more "Millercles" to come - for both Team USA and the Buffalo Sabres.

1 comment:

S.A.M. said...

"He has earned the love he is getting right now, and I am proud to say that he is both my country and my team's star player. I couldn't think of a better representative for the Sabres and American hockey."

Very well said, dear. I agree completely!

USA! :)