Saturday, October 3, 2009

Of Freak Goals and Favorites

I'll have more to say tomorrow, but I'm not as disappointed with that loss as I thought I'd be.

It may be because the team played my kind of hockey - tough, strong penalty killing, gritty and chippy.

It may because both goals against were flukes rather than bad plays or softies by Miller.

It may be because Tyler Myers and Tim Kennedy looked great. Myers especially looked a lot smoother and stronger than I thought he would. I really like his game.

It may be because we still ended up with a point.

I think, though, that it's because of one little letter:


Paul Gaustad finally has a "A" on his jersey. He is finally being recognized for the true leader that he is for this team. To see it in a regular season game was so special because it proves that others see him as the gift to this team that I have always seen him as.

To watch Goose and Pommer as assistant captains tonight was special. Two close friends, two roommates, my two favorite players - they are the next generation of Sabre leaders, and I am so proud to own their jerseys. Now I have to get an "A" put on my #28 jersey, and I couldn't be happier.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be more upset, but now I'm too excited to have hockey back in my life to wallow in post-loss depression.

No comments: