Wednesday, April 14, 2010

First Round Predictions

I've been swamped with work for the end of the semester (which I am both longing for and fearing with graduation approaching), but I'm taking five minutes out of my paper-writing time to make my annual first round predictions before tonight's games.

I wish I had time to offer in-depth commentary, but consider this the abridged version. Hopefully I'll be able to go into more detail with the second round.

In the East...

(1) Washington over (8) Montreal in five.
Can't stop the Caps' firepower.
(7) Philadelphia over (2) New Jersey in six.
Goaltending is an issue, but my gut still says the upset will happen.
(3) Buffalo over (6) Boston in six.
Miller's experience is the key here.
(4) Pittsburgh over (5) Ottawa in five.
In big moments, Crosby is tough to stop, and I just want to see the Sens go out well before we'd have to play them.

In the West...

(1) San Jose over (8) Colorado in six.
Still don't think it's a Cup year for the Sharks, but they'll at least get to the second round.
(2) Chicago over (7) Nashville in five. The Hawks are going to make a deep run this year - maybe not all the way to a Cup, but I think they'll come close.
(6) Los Angeles over (3) Vancouver in seven. As much as I love the Canucks, the Kings are a strong team that would have given any first-round opponent trouble.
(5) Detroit over (4) Phoenix in seven.
I think this will be a close series, but the Wings have the veteran experience to put them over the top.

So there you have it, nothing groundbreaking about my analysis, but is there ever? I always pick from my gut - no real strategy. I hope to have something up by early tomorrow about the Sabres because I am literally so excited that I start shaking when I think about it.

Let me know your picks in the comments - How incredibly right or unbearably wrong do you think mine are?

No comments: