Like many Facebook-addicted bloggers, I friend requested pretty much all of our draft picks. I then proceeded to write them dorky, little messages to say congratulations. Well, Tyler Myers is either incredibly bored or incredibly sweet because he wrote me back a nice little thank you! It's nice to know that he appreciates the new attention he'll be getting. I like him already - he's a Sabre, he's TALL, and he's my new Facebook BFF (sorry, Nate Gerbe).
Now that my online brush with baby-Sabre greatness is over, onto more pressing matters.
Some sort of apocalyptic event took place at Dunn Tire Park last night. At first it started with heavy fog, but then it morphed into something out of Stephen King's The Mist. I'm pretty sure it ate Jason Cooper. Of course, this being Buffalo, the umpires didn't call the game until the bottom of the 9th, with two out, and after the other team had scored because of the fog. However, sitting in front of a bunch of wasted guys made it worth the ticket price even if I only saw the first two innings. For an even better recap of last night's meteorological event, check out Ryan's post over at The Goose's Roost.
Finally, I bid farewell to the blogging world until Tuesday, as I'm off on my family's annual pilgrimage to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. This means, of course, that I will miss the first few hours of free agency. This is what I hope to hear when I can get WGR on the car radio:
- Max has been traded, for something, ANYTHING. I really like the Max for Mike Green discussion that Anne over at Sabretooth's House has brought to my attention.
- We re-signed either Teppo or Nolan Pratt. I don't think we need both, but we do need an older, calmer presence on the blueline. If I had my pick, I would LOVE to see Teppo back in Blue and Gold - he's the kind of veteran force we were looking for all of last season (I know he has health issues, but I feel like he can probably make it one more year.).
- As much as I loved our favorite misfit Jocelyn Thibault, I would like to see Darcy pick up a more reliable back-up so Millsey doesn't get so tired this season. Wade Dubielewicz from the Islanders would be my top choice.
- I would love us to get Ryan Malone to add some grit and Cup Finals experience to our forward core, but I'm prepared for that to be just a lovely dream.
- There is one Penguin that I think we have a real chance of picking up, and that is Brooks Orpik. He's the kind of tough defenseman that we're so desperately looking for. If Darcy manages this pick-up, I will be a very happy girl.
I would also like to hear that Goose and Pommers have signed their 25-year extensions that day as well, but I'm prepared to wait a little bit longer (just a little bit, Darcy).